LGUs should ensure compliance of smoking ban: DILG

MANILA — Local government units (LGUs) should ensure the support and compliance of company and school heads to the nationwide smoking ban or they would be held liable and face corresponding sanctions.

In a directive, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said local chief executives should inform “persons-in-charge” of their role in the implementation of Executive Order No. 26.

EO 26, which took effect last month, mandates the establishment of smoke-free environments in public and enclosed places.

A “person-in-charge”, as defined under EO 26, may be a “company, corporation, partnership or association’s president/manager; owner/proprietor/operator of a single proprietorship; or the administrator of a government or private property, facility, office or building; and the city/municipal schools superintendent, school president, dean or principal in case of a school.”

The EO has outlined the duties of the “person-in-charge” which include the following:

  • Prominently post and display the “No Smoking” signage in locations most visible to the public in the areas where smoking is prohibited as well as in the most conspicuous location within a public conveyance;
  • Prominently display the “Designated Smoking Area” (DSA) or “Smoking Area” signage with a graphic-based health warning on the effects of tobacco usage in areas where smoking is allowed;
  • Report to the nearest Smoke-Free Task Force of the concerned city or municipality any tobacco product selling, advertising and/or promotion within 100 meters from the perimeter of schools, public playgrounds, youth hostels and recreational facilities for minors;
  • Post the “Sale/Distribution of Tobacco Products to Minors is Unlawful” along with a graphic-based health warning at point-of-sale establishments;
  • Remove from the places where smoking is prohibited all ashtrays and other receptacles for disposing of cigarette refuse; and
  • Establish internal procedure and measures within the area he/she is in-charge including compliance with the smoking, sales, distribution, advertising and promotions restrictions, and ensure that all employees in the establishment are aware of said measures.

Under EO 26, establishments that “knowingly allows, abets, authorizes or tolerates prohibited acts under the order or fails to fulfill his duties and obligations may be subjected to corresponding sanctions.”

The EO provides that smoking may be allowed only in a DSA or an area of a building which can be an open space, or separate area with proper ventilation, subject to specific standards.

It also states that no DSAs should be established in public places such as centers of youth activity, playschools, preparatory schools, elementary schools, high schools, colleges and universities, youth hostels and recreational facilities for minors.

DSAs should not also be seen in elevators and stairwells, as well as in locations in which fire hazards are present including gas stations and storage areas for flammable liquids, gas, explosives or combustible materials.

At the same time, DSAs should not be established within the buildings and premises of public hospitals, medical, dental and optical clinics, health centers, nursing homes, dispensaries and laboratories as well as food preparation areas. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...