Liquor ban for May 13 polls takes effect Sunday

 Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — As part of measures to secure Monday’s polls, a liquor ban will be implemented across the country starting Sunday.

Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesperson, Col. Bernard Banac said police units will enforce election laws, particularly the liquor ban, effective midnight on Sunday which will last until Election Day.

“The liquor ban will be in effect for 48 hours. During this period, selling and drinking alcoholic beverages is prohibited as part of efforts to ensure peaceful elections,” Banac told reporters on Thursday’s press briefing held at Camp Crame.

He added that based on the National Election Monitoring Action Center (NEMAC) in Camp Crame, the PNP has so far recorded 33 election-related violence incidents (ERVI), with 14 deaths from Jan. 13 up to May 8.

A total of 22 persons were also wounded since the start of the election period.

Banac added there have been 4,459 firearms of different types confiscated and some 42,430 deadly weapons seized that also resulted in the arrests of 5,316 persons during police intensified police operations — mainly thru police response, checkpoint, gun check and the serving of search warrants.

All 149,830 uniformed PNP personnel will assume election duties in the country’s polling precincts and in the Reserved Standby Support Forces, Trained Election Board, Security in Canvassing Centers, Warehouse and Hubs, Election Monitoring Action Centers and as members of the Quick Reaction Teams, Banac said.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...