Local bets urged to follow protocols as campaign starts Friday

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP) has reiterated its call for candidates to strictly comply with campaign protocols in conducting rallies, assemblies, and other related political activities.

“They should make sure that (there are) proper coordination with authorities concerned to assist them in the security and crowd control,” PNP chief Gen. Dionardo Carlos said in a statement Monday (March 21) night.

Carlos made the remark ahead of the start of the campaign period for local candidates on Friday (March 25).

He also reminded organizers not to be complacent despite the easing of in-person campaign rules by the Commission on Elections (Comelec).

“Please avoid bringing huge sum(s) of money, jewelry, items of value, and small children,” Carlos said.

Last week, the poll body scrapped the rule on obtaining permits from its campaign committee for the holding of rallies in areas under Alert Levels 1 and 2. Campaign activities have also been allowed at 100% capacity and 70% capacity for Alert Level 1 and 2 areas, respectively.

Previously, only 70% capacity was allowed for campaign activities in areas under Alert Level 1, while 50% capacity was permitted under Alert Level 2.

However, handshakes, kissing, and taking selfies remain prohibited under the relaxed campaign rules amid the coronavirus pandemic.

On Monday, the Department of Health (DOH) reported 3,572 new coronavirus cases from March 14 to 20.

As this developed, the PNP chief said that they have already identified various hotspots, particularly in Mindanao which would be part of their areas of concern for the May 9 elections.

Carlos said he has recently visited Butuan as well as Caraga and Soccsksargen.

He said that upon arrival at the Caraga Region, they immediately held a meeting with the Armed Forces of the Philippines, where they identified seven hotspots.

“We are undergoing a continuous assessment. Come April 4, we will meet again to discuss if the situation has improved or taken for the worse, so we can take more concrete actions including the deployment of more police officers,” he said.

Asked if there were any private armed groups that they were monitoring, Carlos said that they were able to identify a few groups in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) and Soccskargen.

“There are initial steps to address this. There are identified armed groups. We will talk to the candidates to make sure that they will not use them or are not using them otherwise they can be charged,” he said.

Carlos said they will also monitor the situation in the Samar provinces to make sure that communist rebels in these areas will not cause any trouble.

The PNP chief said that he will be meeting next with regional directors in Bicol. (with Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)

-ag

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...