Local execs yield unlicensed guns to Sultan Kudarat police

ISULAN, Sultan Kudarat — Armed local officials in conflict-affected town of Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat have voluntarily surrendered 28 unlicensed guns to the police here Sunday.

Senior Supt. Raul Supiter, Sultan Kudarat police director, said the firearms belonged to officials of eight villages of Palimbang, a coastal town in Sultan Kudarat.

They turned over assorted firearms that included M16 Armalite rifle with M-203 rifle grenade launchers, M16 assault rifles, cal. 30 caliber M1 Garand rifles, and shotguns.

The firearms were surrendered by officials of Barangays Namat, Kisek, Kidayan, Maganao, Malatunol, Akol, Lebua and Butril where residents were locked in clan war, more known among Muslims as “rido.”

Acting Vice Mayor, incumbent No. 1 Councilor Amil Pangansayan, helped the local police in convincing gun owners to peacefully surrender their weapons and help in the campaign against loose firearms.

The elected mayor and vice mayor of Palimbang have abandoned their posts after joint elements of police and military personnel raided their homes for gun possession and illegal drugs. They remained at large since last year.

Supiter lauded the efforts of Vice Mayor Pangansayan and urged other local executives in Sultan Kudarat’s 10 towns to help in the disarmament campaign of the government. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...