Low passenger demand moves CEB to suspend Caticlan flights

MANILA — Local airline Cebu Pacific (CEB) is temporarily suspending all its operations to and from Caticlan, Aklan following the closure of the province’s top tourist spot Boracay Island.

Airline officials said on Thursday CEB’s Caticlan operation suspension would last from May 17 to Oct. 27, due to a “very low demand” for the route because of Boracay’s closure.

“The management has decided to temporarily close operations to and from Caticlan because of the sluggish demand for this route. Almost no one is flying there,” CEB spokesperson Charo Logarta Lagamon told the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

The government has closed Boracay for six months starting April 26 for the island’s environmental rehabilitation.

Despite announcing other flight cancellations because of the Boracay closure, CEB had previously planned to continue several flights to and from Kalibo and Caticlan to ensure continuity of commerce in Boracay.

But CEB management has changed direction.

As of Thursday, CEB is in the process of informing passengers of the affected flights. Affected passengers are advised to rebook the flight within 30 days without penalties–subject to flight and seat availability–or reroute to any domestic destination within 30 days without penalties.

They can also get a full refund, or place the ticket’s value in a travel fund for future use.

For inquiries, the airline can be reached at its official social media accounts. Passengers may also call the CEB hotline at 702-0888. (PNA)

Popular

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...