LTO-Ilocos steps up inspections of bus terminals for holidays

By Hilda Austria/PNA

DAGUPAN CITY — The Land Transportation Office (LTO) office in Region 1 (Ilocos region) started last week its intensified checks on roadworthiness of buses in big terminals in the region to ensure safe travel of commuters this holiday season.

“Based from statistics, most accidents happen during this season, and most accidents are caused by engine failure or drivers intoxicated with alcohol,” LTO regional director Teofilo Guadiz III said in an interview Monday.

Guadiz said his office is implementing preventive measures rather than apprehensions this time of the year.

“An hour or minutes before the bus leaves the terminal, the inspectors from LTO’s district offices check the brakes, wheels of the bus; while the bus driver will undergo a breath-test on an alcohol breath analyzer to make sure he is not drunk, or under the influence of alcohol,” he said.

Guadiz admitted that some buses were not allowed to travel after these failed inspections.

“One bus’ wheel was already bald and needed replacement, while another was to travel with a wrong franchise. So, we did not allow them to travel,” he said.

The LTO also conducts night inspections with the members of the Philippine National Police.

Meanwhile, Guadiz disclosed that their office will not issue a temporary operator’s permit to motorists with negligible traffic violations, such as not wearing of helmet, among others, starting Dec.15 until January 31.

“We want to break the impression, whenever we apprehend motorists this Christmas season, as though we are asking for gifts or ‘nangungutong’,” he said.

Guadiz, however, warned the motorists that blatant violations, such as drunk-driving, will not be excused by LTO.

“As for the ordinances in the cities and towns, it is up to the officials to issue traffic citation tickets,” he added.

Guadiz advised the motorists to not drink and drive, especially as parties are prevalent these days, and for bus companies to check their buses before allowing them to travel for the safety of the people.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...