Madrasah in Marawi gets help from Ilocos Norte

LAOAG CITY — While the people of Marawi are still recovering from the five-month conflict, the Ilocos Norte government is helping students and faculty members of the Madrasah in the said city to rise from the rubbles.

Madrasah is an Arabic word for “school”.

Charito Julian, executive assistant to Governor Ma. Imelda Marcos, said Monday they had just visited the Madrasah in Barangay Matampay, Marawi City which was seeking assistance on transport services and construction of a training center and needed computer sets.

With an estimated amount of PHP14 million for the Madrasah located on a three-hectare lot, the Ilocos Norte government had pledged to provide direct assistance to the school which was built during the term of former President Ferdinand E. Marcos.

According to Julian, a team from the engineering department of Ilocos Norte personally inspected the Marawi school earlier this month to check on their needs.

Ilocos Norte residents gave an initial donation of PHP1.3 million for the school rehabilitation but Marcos said there was a need to solicit more funds to address the school’s requests.

Based on a report from the Department of Education, the clashes between government troops and Maute terrorist group destroyed school structures and facilities in Marawi, affecting more than 62,000 students in public and private schools, including state universities and colleges. (Leilanie Adriano/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...