Marawi Diocese now preparing for rehab of war-torn city

MANILA, Aug. 3 — The Prelature of Marawi is getting ready for the rehabilitation of the conflict-hit city.

According to Marawi Bishop Edwin Dela Peña, they will start restoration efforts through identifying the needs of those affected by the crisis.

“We are already identifying the evacuees’ needs now as they get ready for the rehabilitation efforts,” he said in an interview over Church-run Radio Veritas.

The Catholic prelate added, “Eventually, we will be going back to Marawi, where the real rehabilitation efforts will take place.”

On the other hand, Dela Peña acknowledged those who provided assistance to the people who were forced to leave Marawi City due to the hostilities there.

He noted that the help came from various government and private organizations, including religious institutions.

“We acknowledge all the help that were sent to the Diocese of Iligan and Prelature of Marawi. We are overwhelmed for this expression of generosity and support for our evacuees,” the Marawi bishop added.

Last month, Caritas Philippines had sent a total of PHP10 million worth of humanitarian assistance from different dioceses for Marawi evacuees.

President Duterte has created an inter-agency task force to oversee the rehabilitation of war-torn city.

On Monday, Joint Task Force Marawi Spokesperson Capt. Jo-ann Petinglay said that there are only about 50 to 70 Maute group members that remain in the city, more than two months since the hostilities began. (Ferdinand G. Patinio/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...