Marcos vows to fend off destabilization plots

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. visited the Philippine troos in Camp Edilberto Evangelista in Cagayan de Oro City on Thursday (May 16, 2024). (Photo courtesy of PCO)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Thursday vowed to quash destabilization plots even as he called on the military to continue its loyalty and service to the country.

Speaking before the Army’s 4th Infantry Division (4ID) at Camp Edilberto Evangelista in Cagayan de Oro City, Marcos said he would not allow attempts to sow division in the country.

“We will also not allow agents within the country to destabilize our government and create division within our nation,” Marcos said, as quoted in a Presidential Communications Office (PCO) news release.

“So, I urge all of you to continue to [demonstrate] your loyalty, patriotism, and service to your country. And let that love of country remain as your compass in your duty to our country and to our people,” he added.

Earlier, former senator Antonio Trillanes IV, who is also a former soldier, claimed that high-ranking police officials were recruiting personnel to join the ouster plot against the Marcos administration.

The Commander-in-Chief said that he has not received any reports of a destabilization plot involving active police officials against his administration, noting the police are not engaged in politicking.

Marcos, however, did not rule out the possibility that retired officials could be hatching a destabilization plot.

Likewise, Marcos appealed to the Army troops to keep the momentum of their operations until the areas were completely cleared of terrorist influence.

He also emphasized the need for them to adapt to the changing times and learn how to combat new threats to the nation’s security, particularly in the digital realm.

“I call on you to develop the skills and acquire [knowledge] to combat new forms of warfare, including those that extend up to the digital realm,” Marcos said.

“We must be prepared to fight false narratives, disinformation, and digital operations that seek to sow conflict [against us] and among us,” he added.

The President warned that the country’s enemies may be hiding in the shadows, or infiltrating the very communities and institutions that the government seeks to protect.

He said the government would be ready to fight back and implement countermeasures to thwart any nefarious schemes and attempts.

Dev’t projects vs. insurgency

In the same speech, the President reported that the government has so far invested P5.3 billion in 758 projects across 356 barangays, as part of the campaign against communist insurgency.

These projects include infrastructure, farm-to-market roads, water systems, schools, and health centers, of which over 78 percent are now considered completed.

Marcos, likewise, acknowledged the efforts of the troops in ensuring peace in Northern Mindanao and Caraga Region.

“Because of your efforts, those who we considered our adversaries before are now (helping to) build their communities instead of destroying those communities,” Marcos said.

“It will ensure peace in formerly conflict-affected areas and prevent communities from falling back into the trap of armed conflict,” he added.

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...