Marines hunting NPA leader recover IEDs in Sultan Kudarat

NPA BOMBS. Improvised explosive devices and other bomb materials recovered at the safe house of suspected communist New People’s Army Guerilla Front 73 leader Aldok Fernandez in Sitio Tiyano, Barangay Kiponget, Palimbang on Tuesday (Oct. 2, 2018). (Photo by 6th ID)

ISULAN, Sultan Kudarat – Troops from the Philippine Marines hunting down a wanted communist leader missed their target but recovered three powerful improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat on Tuesday.

In a report, Major Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, commander of the Army’s 6th Infantry Division who has operational supervision over the 1st Marine Brigade, said the IEDs were found at around 9 a.m. in Sitio Tiyano, Barangay Kiponget.

Sobejana said the Marine soldiers went to Barangay Kiponget to serve search warrants against suspected New People’s Army (NPA) leader Aldok Fernandez of the NPA Guerilla Front 73 operating in the mountains of Sultan Kudarat and South Cotabato but failed.

“He was not in the safe house when the Marines arrived but the operating troops recovered huge IEDs,” Sobejana said in a statement.

Another subject of the search warrant, Ofelia Buanhog alias Mommy Decay, alleged secretary of the NPA Guerilla Front 73, was arrested by authorities in Surallah, South Cotabato last week.

Major Arvin John Encinas, speaking for the 6th ID, said the Marines recovered three improvised bombs at the site.

“The bombs were similar to those found and recovered in NPA areas of operation in North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, and South Cotabato,” he added.

Sobejana reiterated his directive to all operating units under his command to secure innocent civilians and their communities from the evil plots of terrorists. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...