‘Maring’ death toll rises to 13

By Priam Nepomuceno / Philippine News Agency

The death toll from the onslaught of Severe Tropical Storm Maring has climbed to 13, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported on Wednesday.

In its latest advisory, the agency said the reports of fatalities, which include two from Ilocos Sur; one from Cagayan; four from Palawan; five from Benguet, and one from Baguio City, are undergoing validation.

The number of missing persons has reached nine — five from Palawan; two from Baguio City; one from Pangasinan, and one from Ilocos Norte.

The NDRRMC said the report on the missing victim due to drowning in Ilocos Norte has been validated while the rest are undergoing validation.

Also undergoing validation are reports of three persons injured in Baguio City.

“Maring” has so far caused almost P493.8 million worth of damage to agriculture in the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).

Ilocos Region incurred the biggest damage at around P262.5 million, followed by Cagayan Valley at P114.1 million and CAR at P117.2 million

Some 109 houses were reported damaged by “Maring” in Central Luzon, Mimaropa, Caraga, and the CAR.

Of these, 54 were classified as partially damaged and 55 as totally damaged.

The number of affected barangays was placed at 237 in Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Mimaropa, Caraga, and the CAR.

Meanwhile, the number of affected families stands at 6,111 or equivalent to 21,511 persons.

Of these, 1,513 families or 5,852 individuals are staying in 99 evacuation centers while the rest have either returned home or are staying with relatives and friends. (PNA)-rir

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...