Maximum security facility eyed for 200 high-value drug inmates

New Bilibid Prison. (File Photo)

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet

Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Juanito Victor “Jonvic” Remulla Jr. on Tuesday said that approximately 200 high-value detainees at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City will soon be transferred to a maximum-security facility.

In a meeting with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., Secretary Remulla tackled plans for establishing a maximum-security facility that will house inmates allegedly involved in illegal drugs on account of the confiscated cellphones and illegal drugs during recent sweeps inside NBP despite prior raids.

Remulla said authorities are investigating the sources of the drugs inside NBP, with the key objective of disrupting drug trade communication.

The Interior Secretary also shared that President Marcos is well aware of the issue and has directed them to take proactive measures.

“I think the operations (of the maximum security facility) will start pretty soon. And we should see a marked difference in the war against drugs in the Philippines,” Secretary Remulla said.

For security reasons, Remulla declined to provide details about the facility’s location.

Meanwhile, President Marcos convened with the DILG, Department of Justice (DOJ), Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), and the Philippine National Police (PNP) to strengthen collaboration in the administration’s fight against prohibited narcotics.

-av

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...