Mayon’s sulfur emission lowers, hazardous eruption threat remains

MANILA — Mayon Volcano’s sulfur emission has lessened, but a hazardous eruption by the restless volcano is still possible, state geologists told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) on Saturday.

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is a health-threatening gas with a pungent odor.

The condition around Mayon remains under alert level 4, and surrounding communities are urged to stay vigilant, said science research specialist Maria Concepcion Barairo of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).

“Latest data on SO2 and other parameters we’re monitoring continue to indicate such unrest there,” Barairo said, adding the volcano’s reduced sulfur emission is no reason for the surrounding communities to be complacent.

Scientists said SO2 was among the volcanic gases that escape into the atmosphere through a volcano’s various openings. Once released, they said, SO2 could reach varying distances and altitudes. Exposure to SO2 could irritate the eyes, skin, and respiratory system, they said.

In its bulletin released Saturday, Phivolcs reported that Mayon’s SO2 emission level on Friday was at an average of 1,583 tons.

Phivolcs reported higher average daily SO2 emission levels of 2,299 and 3,428 tons on Jan. 31 and Jan. 30, respectively.
“SO2 emission levels can’t be the same every day,” noted Barairo, saying various conditions, including those within Mayon, may limit the SO2 emission.

Mayon Volcano’s SO2 emission on Friday still exceeded this gas’ normal level of approximately 500 tons per day, noted Barairo. She said some people had already reported smelling sulfur with Mayon’s continuing unrest.

That smell might even intensify if Mayon’s SO2 emission rises again, Barairo said, adding that people around Mayon must heed the local authorities’ advice on actions to take to stay safe while the volcano is restive. (Catherine Teves/PNA)

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...