Mayor Inday commends Davao Police on drop in crime

Mayor Inday Sara Duterte lauded the efforts of the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) on the decrease of index crime figures in the 2nd quarter of 2017 compared to the same period last year.

“I thank the personnel of the Davao City Police Office for their efforts and I hope that they will continue with their interventions that led to the reduction of crime rate in the city, especially that we are going to celebrate the Kadayawan festival in the next days,” Mayor Inday said.

Based on DCPO figures, index crimes or major crimes such as murder, rape, robbery, and theft decreased by 44 percent or 382 from last year’s figure of 681.

For murder alone, the decrease was 42.5 percent from 47 during the second quarter of 2016 to 27 for the same period this year.

Rape incidents, on the other hand, went down by 27 percent (from 47 to 27), physical injury decreased by 16 percent (from 132 to 111), robbery down by 41 percent (from 104 to 61), and theft decreased by 57 percent (from 282 to 120). Motorcycle theft also went down by 92 percent (from 38 to 3).

Senior Supt. Alexander Tagum, the city police director, said the reduction in index crime volume was also due to the deployment of Volunteer Police Auxiliary members, who worked hand in hand with authorities.

“Before the deployment of the Volunteer Police Auxiliaries, I already challenged myself and even told the media that I will resign if our crime statistics here will not decrease,” he said. “The records only showed that the deployment of Police Auxiliaries is very effective.” CIO

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...