Melvin Matibag takes oath as NBI chief

NEW NBI CHIEF. Atty. Melvin Matibag formally takes his oath as director of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) before Executive Secretary Ralph Recto in Malacañang on Friday (Feb. 20, 2026). Matibag replaced former NBI director Jaime Santiago, who resigned in 2025. (Photo courtesy: Office of the Executive Secretary)

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency

Lawyer Melvin Matibag on Friday took oath as the new director of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) before Executive Secretary Ralph Recto during a ceremony held at Malacañan Palace in Manila.

Matibag’s designation was announced by the Palace on Thursday.

He previously served in the administration of former President Rodrigo Duterte.

Malacañang said President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. considered Matibag’s trustworthiness and competence as key factors in his appointment.

Matibag replaced former NBI Director Jaime Santiago.

Before Matibag’s appointment, Angelito Magno served as officer-in-charge of the NBI following Santiago’s resignation.

The Department of Justice (DOJ), meanwhile, welcomed Matibag’s appointment to the NBI, one of the agencies under the department.

“We welcome Atty. Matibag’s appointment and we look forward to working closely with him and the NBI,” DOJ spokesperson Polo Martinez told reporters in a press briefing on Friday.

Martinez added that Magno will be appointed deputy director of the agency.

Magno, for his part, expressed his gratitude for having served as head of the law enforcement agency.

“Serving as Director of the National Bureau of Investigation has been both an honor and a profound responsibility,” he said. (With a report from Benjamin Pulta/PNA)

Popular

No need for PBBM to monitor ICC proceedings vs. FPRRD

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency There is no need for President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to monitor the International Criminal Court’s (ICC)...

Binondo drum murder ‘mastermind’ a Chinese nat’l —Taiwan office in PH

By Brian Campued The alleged mastermind in the so-called Binondo drum murder is a Chinese national, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in the Philippines...

Public warned vs. ash fall as Kanlaon erupts anew

By Brian Campued Authorities advised residents in Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental to be cautious of possible ashfall emitted by Kanlaon Volcano after it erupted...

PBBM focused on governance, no plans yet for 2028 polls —Palace

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. remains unfazed amid Vice President Sara Duterte’s announcement to run for president in 2028, Malacañang said, noting...