Meralco procures 660-MW power supply for dry season

Manila Electric Company (Meralco) personnel inspect the electric meters and power transformer on a concrete post along Cogeo Avenue in Antipolo City (PNA photo by Joey O. Razon)

By Kris Crismundo | Philippine News Agency

In preparation for higher electricity demand during the dry season, the Manila Electric Company (Meralco) has started the Competitive Selection Process (CSP) for the 660 megawatts (MW) interim power supply.

Meralco said Thursday that it has opened the bidding for the 660-MW power requirement after the Department of Energy (DOE) granted the distribution utility (DU) the Certificate of Conformity on the Terms of Reference for the Interim Power Supply Agreements (IPSAs).

The IPSAs cover Meralco’s 260-MW peaking requirement and 400-MW base load requirement for 2024, in line with its Power Supply Procurement Plan approved by the energy department.

“The 260-MW and 400-MW IPSAs will be effective until July 2024 and February 2025, respectively,” Meralco said in a statement.

The DU invited interested power generation firms to submit their Expression of Interest for both IPSAs until Jan. 15.

“The Pre-Bid Conferences for the 260-MW peaking requirement and 400-MW base load requirement are both scheduled on Jan. 22, while the Bid Submission Deadlines are set on Feb. 26 and 27, respectively,” it added.

DOE data showed that peak demand in the Luzon grid this year is projected at 13,917 MW, higher by 1,367 MW from the actual peak demand in 2023.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...