Military denies 2 abducted Indons taken to Sulu

ZAMBOANGA CITY — The military’s Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) on Friday denied that the two Indonesian fishermen abducted early this week in Malaysia are already in the province of Sulu.

Lt. Col. Gerry Besana, Westmincom information officer, said there is no confirmation yet on reports that the victims were taken to the area of responsibility of the command.

Besana’s statement came after the east Malaysian newspaper, Daily Express, reported on Friday that the “pirates and their hostages arrived in Talipao at 3 a.m. Tuesday.”

The Malaysian authorities identified the kidnapped victims as Samsul Sagunin, 40, and Usman Yunus, 35, both Indonesians who were abducted on board a fishing boat shortly after it docked at the Pulau Gaya jetty near Semporna, Malaysia on Tuesday.

Two of their companions managed to escape by hiding in one of the boat’s compartments.

The newspaper report said the victims were taken to Tawi-Tawi aboard a speedboat and “believed their final destination is Talipao in Sulu, an area where the Abu Sayyaf Group has previously based its kidnap-for-ransom operations.”

“We have no confirmation or validation if the KVs (kidnap victims) and kidnappers really went inside our AOR (area of responsibility). If ever, we could have intercepted them immediately,” he said.

He added that considering the information given to them, there’s a slim possibility for them to just cross our border unnoticed because of the reported watercraft they’re using.

“Until now, wala pa talaga pumasok sa atin (no one has entered our area) based on the latest report from our forces,” he added.

Nevertheless, Besana said government troops “have been in a tight lookout” for the two Indonesians reportedly abducted in Sempornah. (Teofilo Garcia, Jr/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...