MMDA to help Bacolod craft traffic master plan

MMDA TO ASSESS BACOLOD TRAFFIC. Superintendent Luisito Acebuche, head of Bacolod Traffic Authority Office, welcomes the assistance from the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) in assessing the traffic situation of Bacolod. (Photo by Nanette L. Guadalquiver)

BACOLOD CITY — A team from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) is expected to arrive here this month to help assess the city’s traffic situation and formulate a local traffic master plan.

Mayor Evelio Leonardia said Tuesday MMDA personnel will conduct the study and evaluation for about two weeks.

“They will study the traffic flow (and other factors) for us to come up with a traffic master plan for Bacolod City. When we do that, we will be among the first few in the (country) to have a traffic master plan,” Leonardia added.

Figures from the Land Transportation Office 6 (Western Visayas) showed that Bacolod has 92,827 motor vehicles registered in 2017, or 7,849 more than the 84,978 registered in 2016.

“That is what I call good news, which is also bad news. Good news because it shows that our people have the purchasing power, but bad news because it adds to the traffic volume,” Leonardia said.

Bacolod City alone accounts for 22.31 percent of the total 416,136 motor vehicles registered in the region last year.

In Negros Occidental, including Bacolod City, 169,739 motor vehicles were registered in 2017, comprising 40.79 percent of the total registration among all the six provinces in Western Visayas. “So please, a little understanding about our traffic situation,” the mayor appealed.

Supt. Luisito Acebuche, head of the Bacolod Traffic Authority Office (BTAO), said in a separate interview, the city streets will get even more crowded once vehicles from the north and the south of the province are added to the almost 93,000 vehicles already plying Bacolod.

Acebuche, who welcomed the assistance from the MMDA, added that with Executive Assistant Rodel Parcon, the BTAO is complying with the requirements of the MMDA.

“We hope that by the third week of July, they will come here, according to Mr. Parcon,” Acebuche said. “Once they arrive, I will present to them, together with our mayor, the traffic situation of Bacolod.” (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...