Modern x-ray machines, runway overlay, other upgrades ongoing at NAIA

MANILA — The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) are in the process of performing upgrades at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), all for the passengers’ safety, security, and convenience.

“There is an ongoing rehabilitation of Terminal 2, and this may take one and a half years to finish,” said MIAA General Manager Ed Monreal at the first “Kapihan sa NAIA” forum on Wednesday.

The rehabilitation includes expanding certain portions of the terminal and improving the entire facility, since it was originally designed as a domestic terminal.

It also aims to prepare for the airline terminal realignment plan, which seeks to address the problem of passenger congestion at the NAIA and to rationalize the flights.

Monreal added all x-ray machines at the NAIA are up for replacement, to comply with international aviation standards that these should be dual view x-ray machines by 2022.

About 21 new x-ray machines have, so far, been installed, he said.

The runway overlay has also been started, up for completion by the first quarter of 2019, the MIAA chief added.

Even the airport’s toilets are now being renovated, he said, and might sport a new look before the year ends.

NAIA now has a total of four rapid exit taxiways, which allow aircrafts to exit faster, Monreal said.

The “Kapihan sa NAIA” forum aims to update the media about the latest in the aviation industry in the country. Executives plan to hold the forum quarterly. (Ma. Cristina Arayata/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...