More NPA weapons recovered in SoCot

By Che Palicte | Philippine News Agency

DAVAO CITY – The Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) reported on Sunday (Nov. 28) that more high-powered firearms and explosives stashed by the New People’s Army (NPA) in a small village of Tampakan, South Cotabato were recovered on Saturday (Nov. 29).

In a statement, Lt. Gen. Greg Almerol, commander of Eastmincom, said troops of the 39th Infantry Battalion (39IB) and 10th K9 Team under the 1002nd Infantry Brigade launched an operation in response to a tip from former rebels, which led to the recovery of a .50 caliber machine gun with ammunition, a shotgun, four grenades, and a 40mm grenade launcher ammunition in Sitio Bonglawaan, Barangay Palo 19.

“This is just one of the signs which shows that the communist terrorist group (CTG) has a scarcity of manpower as more and more of their weapons lay unattended. This is important to note because the foundation of their operations heavily depends on their men,” he added.

Almerol said former rebels divulged that the recovered items belong to the NPA’s Guerrilla Front Alip of the Far South Mindanao Region (GF Alip, FSMR).

“This is a huge win for the people of Eastern Mindanao. I salute the troops for their very timely action and as well as the former rebels for their bravery in sharing information that is crucial to the success of Eastmincom,” he added.

Eastmincom previously reported that former rebels had expressed willingness to work with the military troops in pursuing the remaining NPA members and locating their stashed weapons in Eastern Mindanao by sharing information with intelligence value.

READ MORE: Ex-rebels help gov’t troops recover NPA firearms

“These former rebels previously said their bitter and unfair experience in the hands of their CTG leaders made them determined to help the government in dismantling the remaining strongholds of CTGs and in pursuing peace and development in the country so that no more Filipinos will be taken advantage of by the communist terrorist leaders,” Almerol said.

He added that they continue to foster ties with former rebels and ensure that they avail of the benefits accorded to them by the government through the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP).

The Communist Party of the Philippines-NPA is listed as a terrorist organization by the United States, European Union, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the Philippines.

The Anti-Terrorism Council has formally designated the National Democratic Front as a terrorist organization on June 23, 2021, citing it as “an integral and separate part” of the CPP-NPA created in April 1973. (PNA) – bny

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...