Native dishes highlight CEZA culinary fest in Cagayan

By Villamor Visaya, Jr./ PNA

CEZA CULINARY FEST. Cagayan Economic Zone Authority administrator Raul Lambino and other guests partake various dishes during the 1st CEZA Culinary Challenge at the Sta. Ana Gymnasium in Sta. Ana, Cagayan on Monday, Feb. 25, 2019. (Villamor Visaya Jr.)

SANTA ANA, Cagayan — Fifteen competitors cooked their best dishes, which include native food, during the 1st Cagayan Economic Zone Authority (CEZA) culinary festival at the Santa Ana Gymnasium here earlier this week.

CEZA Administrator and Chief Executive Officer Raul Lambino, who tasted each of the 14 cooked dishes, praised the ingenuity of Cagayan cooks who prepared native food such as grilled catfish locally called “tinonneb”, carabao innards called “mondonggo”, sweet chili prawns, native chicken, seafood, and beef salpicao, among others.

“The activity is consistent to one of CEZA’s priority objectives, which it to promote tourism, by highlighting the distinctive cuisine of the province, not only to the Filipinos but to the global audience,” Lambino said.

Piat town cook Dominic Guzman said his beef salpicao is a local version with native spices such as chili. He said it is a well-loved dish among Cagayanos.

Tinonneb cook Melbina Magaddon said her dish was made more palatable by the addition of chopped tomatoes, chili, ginger, and fresh calamansi juice.

Santa Ana town bagged the PHP20,000 championship prize, Tuguegarao City tabbed the PHP15,000 plum for a second-place finish while Lal-lo town placed third and received PHP10,000. Non-winning towns received a consolation prize of PHP5,000 each.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...