Navy men honored for seized P67-M smuggled rice shipment

Rear Adm. Rene Medina, Naval Forces Western Mindanao commander, led the awarding ceremony on Monday to gallant sailors who apprehended a Mongolian-registered bulk carrier loaded with P67-M worth of smuggled rice on April 14 near Olutanga Island, Zamboanga Sibugay. (Photo courtesy of Navforwem PIO)

ZAMBOANGA CITY — The Naval Forces Western Mindanao (Navforwem) has honored the sailors who foiled the smuggling of PHP67-million worth of rice in the region last month.

The awardee-sailors, who are assigned with the BRP General Mariano Alvarez (PS-38), Multi-Purpose Attack Craft (BA485), and Naval Special Operations Unit-6 (NAVSOU6), apprehended 15 foreign crew and 51 illegally employed Filipinos, including three minors, when they intercepted the M/V Diamond 8, a Mongolian-registered bulk carrier, near Olutanga Island in Zamboanga Sibugay province on April 14.

Rear Adm. Rene Medina, Navforwem commander, and Capt. Joe Anthony Orbe, Naval Task Force 61 acting commander, led the awarding ceremony held at the Romulo Espaldon Naval Station that houses the Navforwem headquarters here last Monday.

Medina said the award was received by each unit’s representatives, namely Lt. Commander Ted Cerezo Jr., BRP General Mariano Alvarez; Lt. Commander Cesar Pangan Jr., Boat Attack Division; Lt. Junior Grade Jaymar Jayson, Philippine Navy; and Seaman 1st Class Underwater Operator Rey Tano of NAVSOU6.

The award recognized the sailors’ efficiency, loyalty and selfless devotion to duty in connection with the seizure of the smuggled rice.

“We witness the awarding of our deserving units in the recent successful anti-smuggling operation. Having heard the contents of the citations of the award for Bronze Cross medal, I hope that it will convey to all of us, the inspiration of fulfilling our duty and mandate with bravery, dignity, and honor,” Medina said. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...