NBA: Nets shut down Irving for vaccine refusal

Anadolu Agency

WASHINGTON – The Brooklyn Nets announced Tuesday (Oct. 12) they will prohibit NBA All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving from practicing and playing with the team because of his decision to refuse the coronavirus vaccine.

“Kyrie has made a personal choice, and we respect his individual right to choose,” Nets General Manager Sean Marks said in a statement.

“Currently the choice restricts his ability to be a full-time member of the team, and we will not permit any member of our team to participate with part-time availability. It is imperative that we continue to build chemistry as a team and remain true to our long-established values of togetherness and sacrifice,” Marks added.

There had been speculation that Irving might play solely during away games, but Marks laid that matter to rest.

READ MORE: NBA: Nets’ Irving gets greenlight to practice with team, Insider says

A seven-time All-Star, Irving, 29, won the 2016 NBA title with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

He joined the Nets in 2019 but previously played for the Boston Celtics.

Irving is ineligible to play under New York City’s COVID-19 regulations, which mandate that anyone entering an indoor gym have at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine. The Barclays Center, where the Nets play, is considered a gym under the city’s regulations, as is Madison Square Garden, the home of neighboring New York Knicks.

There has not been a league-wide vaccine mandate, but Irving will not be paid for games he misses under NBA rules that stipulate players are ineligible for payment if they cannot play due to refusal to adhere to local COVID-19 mandates.

Currently, New York City is the only local jurisdiction with a mandate that would prevent unvaccinated players from taking the court, but San Francisco will follow Wednesday, and Los Angeles will do the same on Nov. 29.

Out-of-town teams are exempt from the mandates, according to the NBA.

The Knicks, Los Angeles Clippers, and Golden State Warriors have indicated their entire teams are fully vaccinated, while the Los Angeles Lakers said everyone on their roster will be by opening night. (Anadolu) – bny

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...