NBI-10 exec laments thriving online scams despite warnings

By Jigger Jerusalem/PNA

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY – Online investments scams still persist despite the charges brought against several personalities involved in fraudulent Ponzi schemes.

This sentiment was shared by an official of the National Bureau of Investigation in Region 10 (NBI-10), who lamented that many are still being duped by get-rich-quick scheme despite the enormous risks.

“There are still people who are doing the online investment scam on Facebook,” said NBI-10 head agent Alex Cabornay, adding that they are keeping an eye on several online scam operators.

Cabornay said NBI-10 filed large-scale swindling and estafa against six persons last month. He identified the suspects as Antonette Sestoso, Rhea Mae Vallejos, Wenchelmie Acosta, Mary Ann Villapa, Maria Kathrina Cabeltes, and Jelie Rose Oredimo.

He said the suspects are accused of defrauding tens of millions of pesos from more than five hundred people in Cagayan de Oro and Misamis Oriental.

He said NBI-10 is also preparing the charges against 17 other persons involved in another online investment scam.

Despite repeated warnings, Cabornay lamented that they still monitor a surge of recruitment on social media by individuals who entice others to invest their money with the promise of doubling it in a couple of days.

“If you will not stop with this online investment scam, we have no choice but to entrap you,” Cabornay warned, referring to individuals who are posting get-rich-quick schemes online.

He also called on individuals who wish to engage in financing or lending activities to comply with the necessary government permits, starting with registering their business with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Bureau of Internal Revenue, and other government agencies.

Cabornay said lending or investment companies must come under government regulations to protect the public from fraudulent transactions.

“In fact, they should be bonded and insured, in case they will abscond the money of the group, the members can run after this guarantee,” he added.

Popular

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...

Gov’t measures vs. inflationary pressures effective — NEDA

By Kris Crismundo and Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency Government efforts to control inflation are showing results as the country’s inflation rate continued to...