NBI files raps vs. Aklan town mayor, others on Boracay mess

MANILA — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has filed criminal cases against Malay, Aklan mayor Ceciro Cawaling, as well several local officials and corporations, at the Department of Justice (DOJ) for their role in the deterioration of world-renowned island-resort Boracay in Aklan.

The NBI’s Environmental Crime Division filed violations of the Revised Forestry Code, Philippine Fisheries Code, and Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act against Cawaling, former Malay Mayor John Yap, Malay municipal engineer and building official Elizer Casidsid, Kalibo, Aklan Municipal Assessor Erlinda Casimero and Aklan Provincial Assessor Kokoy Soguilon.

Also charged were Correos Internacionale Incorporated and its officers – Singaporean Lim Chee Yong, the president and CEO, Maria Christina Rumualdez, stockholder and Chairman of the Board and Gene Arthur Go, stockholder and Director; Seven Seas Boracay Properties Incorporated, and Boracay Tanawin Properties Incorporated and its officers – Gregory Wells, acting president, Immanuel Sodusta, secretary and Kennelyn Gonzaga, treasurer.

Also charged were Boracay Island West Coast Management Philippines Incorporated and its officers – Crisostomo Aquino and Maria Jovita Aquino.

Acting Prosecutor General Richard Anthony Fadullon said the cases had been docketed and assigned to prosecutors for preliminary investigation.

The DOJ will conduct preliminary investigation to determine if the cases filed have sufficient basis to warrant the indictment of the respondents before the court.

“There were cases filed by the NBI task force that was directed to look into violations in Boracay. There were four cases that were filed with the department,” Fadullon told reporters Thursday afternoon.

President Rodrigo R. Duterte earlier ordered the closure of Boracay to tourists for six months starting April 26 to pave the way for its rehabilitation.

Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu previously said they found several illegal sewage pipes that directly discharged wastes into Boracay’s seawaters. Several establishments were also found violating the 30-meter shoreline easement rule. (Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...