NBI recommends raps vs. 3 senators, others over flood control mess

Senators Jinggoy Estrada, Joel Villanueva, and Francis Escudero. (Photo courtesy: Senate Social Media Unit)

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has recommended the prosecution of 21 individuals, including three incumbent senators, in connection with the alleged anomalies in government flood control projects.

In a statement Friday, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said the three senators recommended to face charges are Francis Escudero, Joel Villanueva, and Jinggoy Estrada. All three have denied the accusations.

Also on the list are:

  • Former senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr.
  • Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Elizaldy “Zaldy” Co
  • Former Caloocan Rep. Mary Mitzi “Mitch” Lim Cajayon-Uy
  • Former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) undersecretary Roberto Bernardo
  • Former DPWH Assistant Regional Director-OIC Henry Alcantara
  • Former DPWH District Engineer-OIC Brice Ericson Hernandez
  • Former DPWH Assistant District Engineer Jaypee Mendoza
  • Project Engineer John Carlo Rivera
  • Project Engineer Arjay Domasig
  • DPWH Finance Section accountant Juanito Mendoza
  • an alias “Andrei Balatbat”
  • an alias”Beng Ramos”
  • an alias “Mina”
  • Businessman Maynard Ngu
  • Carleen Villa
  • Linda “Victoria” Macanas
  • SYMS Construction’s Sally Nicolas Santos
  • Jelsie Construction and Supply Inc.’s Jesse Mahusay

“This recommendation stems directly from the sworn testimonies of Engineer Henry Alcantara, Engineer Brice Hernandez, Engineer Jaypee Mendoza, and former Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo,” the DOJ said.

“Their statements provided the basis for identifying these individuals as having sufficient preliminary links to the acts under investigation.”

DOJ Spokesperson Asec. Mico Clavano said the recommended charges include violation of Republic Act (RA) 3019 (Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act); indirect bribery, and malversation.

“Let it be clear: inclusion in the NBI’s recommendation is not a matter of speculation or rumor. It is the result of sworn testimony under oath,” he said.

“If names have circulated outside of these affidavits, those are not recognized by the DOJ or the NBI until such time that they are sworn to under proper proceedings,” Clavano added.

Following the NBI’s recommendation, the DOJ will now subject it to “rigorous case build-up” under the National Prosecution Service, Clavano said.

He added that those on the list will be required to answer the allegations against them.

Meanwhile, Clavano said Justice Sec. Jesus Crispin Remulla has asked the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) for help in locating Co, who was out of the country and was reportedly last spotted in Spain.

“The SOJ (Secretary of Justice) has already given the instructions to apply for a Blue Notice from Interpol through our local offices. This is based on the investigation of the [Senate] Blue Ribbon Committee as well as the NBI recommendation to prosecute,” the DOJ spokesperson said.

Clavano added that a witness in the Senate investigation, identified as Marine Orly Guteza, who was Co’s security consultant, had failed to attend the scheduled evaluation meeting with the DOJ.

Lawmakers have called for a deeper background check on Guteza after irregularities supposedly surfaced in the notary of his statement, as well as links to personalities from the previous administration.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...