NEA chief backs Agus-Pulangi rehab, Minpocor creation

MANILA — National Electrification Administration (NEA) chief Edgardo Masongsong expressed optimism that the rehabilitation of the Agus-Pulangi Hydroelectric Power Plant (HEPP) as embodied in the proposed measure creating the Mindanao Power Corporation (Minpocor) will gain traction in the 17th Congress.

Speaking to reporters in Misamis Oriental last Saturday, Masongsong said electric cooperatives in Mindanao are actively pushing for both facilities to remain under state control through a new corporate entity instead of giving them up for privatization.

The NEA administrator is aware that the Electric Power Industry Reform Act (EPIRA) mandates the government to sell its capital-intensive power generation assets, but he believes it should make an exception for the Agus-Pulangi HEPP in the interest of Mindanao stakeholders.

“I am hoping that Agus and Pulangi will become government-owned and controlled but under the care of Minpocor,” Masongsong said at the sidelines of the 38th Annual General Membership Assembly of the Misamis Oriental II Electric Cooperative, Inc.

Masongsong pushed for the creation of Minpocor during his stint as representative of the 1st Consumer Alliance for Rural Energy (1-CARE) partylist in the 16th Congress together with his fellow Mindanao lawmakers.

While their consolidated legislation passed in the Lower House, it failed to get support from their counterparts in the Senate, prompting Zamboanga City Rep. Celso Lobregat to refile the same under House Bill No. 122 last year.

Masongsong is hopeful the refiling of their proposed measure will generate enough votes for its enactment to finally maximize the potential of the Agus-Pulangi hydropower complexes, which are pivotal in keeping electricity rates affordable in Mindanao.

“Agus-Pulangi has a potential of 982 megawatts (MW) but it is only generating between 300-400 MW at the moment so we have a loss of around 600MW. This is why we are pushing for the government to fund this rehabilitation project through Minpocor so that Mindanaoans will operate and manage this HEPP,” The NEA chief said.

At this point, the fate of the Agus-Pulangi rests with the Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management (PSALM), which has been tasked by the Joint Congressional Power Commission to determine the best available option for its impending privatization. (PNA)

Popular

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...