NegOr police still validating election watch list areas

By Mary Judaline Partlow/PNA

DUMAGUETE CITY — The Negros Oriental Provincial Police Office (NOPPO) is still awaiting the official release from the Regional Joint Security Control Center (RJSCC) on the election watch list areas (EWAs) in the province in relation to the upcoming May polls.

“So far, ongoing pa ang validation ngayon kaya wala pa ang list sa EWAs (validation of the EWAs is still ongoing). I can’t say when it will be released but hopefully this week or next week,” said Senior Supt. Raul Tacaca, provincial police director, on Monday.

According to him, the police chiefs from the different towns and cities have been asked to submit recommendations but the process “goes through the intelligence personnel from the stations and the provincial office”.

“They will be conducting a validation of the areas recommended at yun ang isa-submit naming sa regional office (and that is what we are going to submit to the regional office),” he explained.

The Comelec chairs the RJSCC while the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) are co-chairs, Tacaca said.

The RJSCC will be the one to release the joint resolution on the EWAs in the different provinces, he explained.

Tacaca declined to give an estimate on the number of barangays in Negros Oriental that are being recommended for inclusion in the watch list, saying he does not want to pre-empt the advisory from higher authorities.

He said, however, that some barangays considered as EWAs in the previous elections are also being considered this time.

On the categorization of EWAs, it is the poll body that has set the standards and modified the classification of these with the use of a color-coding scheme, to include green, orange, yellow, and red categories, Tacaca said.

As to the parameters to be considered in the identification of the EWAs, these would include “intense political rivalry, the presence of armed groups, the presence of terrorists, and the possible use or deployment of PAGs (private armed groups),” he said.

Negros Oriental was among a number of provinces that were tagged as election hotspots in the 2016 polls.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...