Nesthy Petecio makes another history with silver medal

Nesthy Petecio will be bringing home another Olympic medal for the Philippines after settling for silver at the women’s boxing featherweight finals on Tuesday (August 3). 

The Filipina boxer had a 5-0 unanimous decision loss against Japan’s Sena Irie during the finals match at the Kokugikan Arena in Tokyo, Japan.

 Irie scored on Petecio in the opening round, but the 29-year-old Davao del Sur pride countered in the second round in a tight match. All five judges favored Japan’s home bet in the third round, ending Petecio’s bid for another Olympic gold for the Philippines.

Petecio was assured silver after defeating Italy’s Irma Testa on July 31, and after securing an Olympic podium last week for defeating Colombia’s Yeni Arias.

 

Another history

Petecio has made another history for the Philippines for being the first victorious Filipina boxer at the Olympics, and the first silver medalist after 25 years.

Malacaῆang congratulated Petecio during its press briefing on Tuesday noon and commended her performance at the Olympics.

“Napakagaling ng ipinakitang lakas at gilas ng ating Nesthy Petecio… Ito ang kauna-unahang pagkakataon na nagkaroon tayo ng mga kababaihang mga boksingero and it was a silver immediately,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.

House Speaker Lord Allan Velasco also lauded Petecio and Filipino Olympic boxer Carlo Paalam for securing a medal in the men’s flyweight division.

“Filipino Olympians are a source of light and hope for our kababayans in these trying times, and the performance of our boxers in the Tokyo Olympics lifted our spirits. Mabuhay ang mga atletang Pinoy!” Velasco said. – Report from Paolo Salamatin/PTV Sports/AG-rir

Watch the full report here:

 

 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...