Netizens wary of low Internet service before May polls

By Leilanie Adriano/Philippine News Agency

LAOAG CITY — Netizens in the Ilocos region have expressed disappointment over the very poor Internet connection a few days before the election.

Since last week, PLDT and Smart customers have experienced a degradation or loss of Internet and voice services, which PLDT attributed to fiber cuts in Dagupan City, Pangasinan and in Cabanatuan, Isabela.

“Repair work is ongoing and we will provide updates as they progress. Thank you for your patience,” the network company said in a public statement particularly addressed to customers in parts of San Fernando and Bauang in La Union; Cabanatuan; Baguio; Dagupan and Alaminos in Pangasinan; Tarlac; and Tuguegarao, Cagayan.

In social networking sites, rants about crawling Internet connectivity both from private and public consumers are common status posts in the Philippines, which has the lowest Internet speed in Asia Pacific.

“We are at a point in life when it would be more efficient and productive to travel to Vietnam and sit and work outside a hotel with free public WiFi than to depend on this country’s connectivity,” Mizpah Grace Castro of Laoag City said as she underscored “reliable Internet is a basic service and not a luxury.”

For Nimfa Tolentino of San Nicolas town, she said experiencing very slow Internet services as election nears is bothersome.

“I hope this will be fixed the soonest because I can’t help but think of election sabotage if it continues,” she said.

Meanwhile, works are underway for the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) to establish a national broadband in support of building a reliable telecommunications infrastructure.

Under the Duterte administration, the DICT has an ongoing contract with Facebook to build bypass facility with two landing stations in Baler, Aurora and in Poro Point in San Fernando, La Union. Facebook’s submarine cable will link to both landing stations.

Once completed, the government will get two terabits per second of the international bandwidth “free of charge”, which means more public WiFi with better access will be installed across the country.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...