New COVID-19 cases 37% lower: health exec

By Ma. Teresa Montemayor | Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – New cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) are 37% lower as compared to the period before the onset of Omicron subvariant, a health official said Tuesday, May 10. 

In an online media forum, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said COVID-19 cases are continuously declining with an average daily case of 159 for the week of May 3 to 9 which is 19% lower than last week’s 196.

National Admission by Health Status data showed that cases are mostly asymptomatic at 18.55% and mild at 37.19% as of May 8.

The severe and critical cases comprise 11.86% only of the total admissions and they have remained relatively low since November 2021.

The country’s healthcare utilization rate remains low risk at 16% while the total intensive care unit bed utilization rate is at 17%

“Nananatili rin pong nasa minimal risk classification ang ating bansa kahit nagkaroon ng bahagyang pagtaas ng kaso. Limang rehiyon (Our country remains under minimal risk classification despite a slight increase in cases. Five regions), Regions 2, 4-B, 5, 7 and 8 are under low risk case classification with positive growth rate in the recent two weeks while Regions 1, 3 and BARMM are at minimal risk case classification with positive growth rate in the recent one week,” Vergeire said.

“The slight increase in cases still does not translate to higher average daily attack rates and hospital admissions,” she added. (PNA

– ag

 

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...