New PAL president named

By Ma. Cristina Arayata/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — The Philippine Airlines (PAL) board of directors confirmed on Monday the appointment of Gilbert Santa Maria as the flag carrier’s new president and chief operating officer, following the retirement of Jaime Bautista last month.

The 15-man PAL board, in its regular meeting at the Century Park Hotel-Manila, unanimously approved Santa Maria, a handpicked nominee of PAL chairman and chief executive officer Lucio Tan.

PAL spokesperson Cielo Villaluna told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that Santa Maria assumed the post on Monday, while Tan’s daughter, Vivienne, remains PAL executive vice president and chief administrative officer.

Vivienne also served as the carrier’s officer-in-charge after Bautista’s retirement, while the airline was in search for his replacement.

“PAL is the airline that meets the needs of local and global travelers by showcasing our brand’s main strength — the passion for safety and service. Maintaining the current level of service is important and of course, profitability. Let us do our share to make PAL reach greater heights. I will be with you every step of the way,” Santa Maria was quoted telling his fellow workers in PAL.

Santa Maria has three decades of executive management and leadership experience, according to PAL. He has been in the business process outsourcing (BPO) industry for the last 15 years.

Villaluna said the 53-year old Santa Maria is leaving his Los Angeles-based advisory firm to join PAL in Manila.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...