NFA expedites procedures vs. employees with ‘simple, grave misconduct’

Photo courtesy: Joseph Henry Elamparo, D.A.-Agriculture and Fisheries Information Division (AFID)

By Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency

The National Food Authority (NFA) on Wednesday said it is expediting administrative procedures against employees allegedly involved in simple or grave misconduct to ensure the agency’s uninterrupted operations.

This follows the agency’s ongoing internal audit, which has so far resulted in the preventive suspension of 25 employees, the filing of 32 administrative cases, and the issuance of 54 show-cause orders since NFA Administrator Larry Lacson assumed office in March 2024.

Among the questionable activities uncovered in the internal audit were “unauthorized transactions, discrepancies in records, and a decline in stocks beyond 2 to 3 percent tolerable levels, among others.”

In a phone interview, Lacson said the move serves as a stern warning against erring employees and unscrupulous traders to prevent illegal practices as the agency pursues its food security reforms.

“Justice delayed is justice denied. So, hangga’t maaari, sa abot ng aming makakaya, gusto nating matapos agad iyan nang makapag-move on sila agad. Kung walang kasalanan, edi go, trabaho uli. Kapag may kasalanan, parusahan agad,” he told the Philippine News Agency.

“Ang dami kasing trabaho na dapat pagtuunan ng pansin—inaayos natin sa National Food Authority. And we don’t want na maantala,” he added.

Lacson said the 25 suspended employees include branch managers, assistant branch managers, warehouse supervisors, and staff in several NFA warehouses across Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, and Western Visayas.

Some have already completed a three-month suspension, while others remain under preventive suspension pending investigation, he said.

“So, tinitingnan nating mabuti para naman maging fair sa mga matitino at mahusay na kawani ng NFA, [dahil] pati sila nadadamay,” Lacson added, emphasizing that good-performing employees far outnumber the erring ones.

He further warned that the agency is ready to pursue criminal charges against those found liable for grave offenses.

Lacson, however, assured that the NFA remained focused on supporting local farmers through its continuous palay procurement, as well as the sale of cheaper rice under the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” program through the Food Terminal Inc.

To date, six cases remain under investigation by the NFA’s legal division. (PNA)

Popular

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...