No election-related incidents so far in Calabarzon: PNP

MANILA — Intensified police presence is creating a relatively peaceful election period so far for the Calabarzon area, the Philippine National Police Police Regional Office 4 (PNP PRO-4) said Tuesday.

In a report to Camp Crame, the PNP Regional Election Monitoring Action Center (Remac) said consolidated data from April 15 to May 7 recorded no election-related incidents so far.

There are 57 barangays in 21 towns and cities on the PNP PRO-4’s hotspots list otherwise known as Election Watchlist Areas (Ewas). Some eight of these towns are in Quezon, six in Batangas, five in Cavite, and one each in Laguna and Rizal.

A total of 156 individuals have been arrested and 133 firearms have been recovered along with two grenades, 1,182 pieces of assorted ammunition, 23 bladed weapons and three firearms replicas.

Among those arrested were two PNP members, one barangay chairman and one security guard while the rest were civilians.

On Monday, PRO 4 reported an inventory of a total of 765 assorted firearms including those voluntary surrendered to the police since the implementation of Commission on Elections Resolution No. 10197 or the ban on bearing, carrying or transporting of firearms or other deadly weapons.

A total of 638 assorted firearms and 692 ammunition of these were turned-over for safe keeping by candidates, barangay officials, businessmen and other civilians.

The election gun ban for this year’s village polls started on April 14 and will end on May 21. (Benjamin Pulta/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...