No Filipino reported hurt in Hawaii wildfires – DFA

An aerial image taken on August 10, 2023 shows destroyed homes and buildings on the waterfront burned to the ground in Lahaina in the aftermath of wildfires in western Maui, Hawaii. (Photo by Patrick T. Fallon / AFP)

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

No Filipino was hurt in the devastating wildfires on the island of Maui, Hawaii, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported Friday.

Citing official information from Hawaii and State Department authorities, DFA Undersecretary Eduardo Jose de Vega said no foreign national has so far been reported affected by the blazes.

“[W]alang foreign nationals na reported affected kasama ang mga Pilipino (There are no foreign nationals affected, including Filipinos),” he said in a public briefing.

“Remember ang mga Pilipino nagtatrabaho sa mga main cities, forest fire iyon, so we are monitoring the situation (Remember that most Filipinos are working in the main cities, that is a forest fire, so we are monitoring the situation),” he added.

Hawaii authorities said around 1,000 people are still unaccounted for while the death toll has climbed to 55 as the fires tore through Maui.

Local reports said mass evacuations continue for visitors and residents.

Hawaii Governor Josh Green, meanwhile, said the blazes are likely the “largest natural disaster” in the state’s history.

Popular

WALANG PASOK: Class suspensions for July 4 due to heavy rains

Classes in the following areas have been suspended on Friday, July 4, due to the impact of the southwest monsoon (habagat) and the...

PBBM to study DILG Sec. Remulla’s request to declare class suspensions

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Thursday assured Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Sec. Jonvic Remulla that President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will...

WALANG PASOK: Class suspensions for July 3 due to inclement weather

Classes in the following areas have been suspended on Thursday, July 3, due to the impact of the southwest monsoon (habagat) and the...

Palace reacts to China’s ban on ex-Sen. Tolentino, former Pres. spox Roque statement; issues updates on probe of ‘missing sabungeros’

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet At the Palace press briefing held this Wednesday, July 2, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro...