No new suspected bird flu cases, says DOH

MANILA –The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday said that no new cases of suspected bird flu infection were detected as the surveillance period ends Sunday.

“No new case. Basically (we can say that) after culling (period), bird flu-free na until (any) new case appears,” DOH Secretary Paulyn Ubial said.

The Department of Agriculture (DA) ended its culling of birds activities last Aug. 24.

During the culling period, all persons involved in the activities were included in the surveillance of DOH wherein their daily temperatures and symptoms of bird flu among humans were monitored like cough, fever, sore throat, muscle pain, among others.

Also, those who manifested symptoms were provided with prophylaxis while specimens of suspected cases were also tested in the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Alabang, Muntinlupa City.

So far, all of the 39 suspected cases among humans were all found to be negative from the virus.

The suspected cases were considered “exposed” to the secretions of infected birds that were culled since the secretions can enter accidentally in the eyes and mouth during the culling and handling.

As part of the precautionary measures, the DOH provided personal protective equipment (PPE) and prophylaxis (oseltamivir) while trained health workers helped in the surveillance.

To help allay fears, the agency also endorsed the consumption of poultry products and  proper information about bird flu transmission among humans for better understanding of the public. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...

PBBM assures bigger funding for socio-civic projects, sustained rice aid for Filipinos

By Brian Campued “Kapag sinabi nating bawat bayan; bawat pamilya, walang maiiwan.” As part of the administration’s commitment to bringing government services and assistance directly to...

ADB commits addt’l funding to support PH gov’t efforts amid Mideast conflict

By Brian Campued The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has committed $1.75 billion in additional financing to support the Philippine government’s efforts in managing fiscal pressures...