No shortage of rice in NegOcc: NFA

BACOLOD CITY — The National Food Authority (NFA) has a low supply of government rice in Negros Occidental, but this does not translate into shortage in stocks, provincial manager Marianito Bejemino has said.

As of Wednesday, buffer stocks of NFA rice in the province were estimated at 4,000 to 5,000 bags stored in three warehouses — those in Ilog town, San Carlos City, and the NFA compound in Bacolod City.

Based on the total inventory, however, there are about 1.3 million bags of rice in Negros Occidental as of last week, which can last for at least 63 days, or two months.

These include about 800,000 bags of commercial rice stored by millers, wholesalers, and retailers, as well as those stocked in households, farms, and NFA warehouses.

“The public still has nothing to worry about,” Bejemino said Wednesday, adding that these stocks are more than enough to supply the consumption requirement of Negrenses until rice imports arrive end of May.

He added that the current rice inventory does not even include supplies coming from other provinces and existing harvests.

Bejemino said that while the current inventory of NFA rice stocks in the province is low, it cannot be said that there is a deficit in the entire local rice supply.

He said NFA rice is different from commercial rice, thus, the status of government rice supply does not represent the entire rice situation in Negros Occidental.

At present, the NFA rice volume in the market is pegged at only 1 percent to 2 percent because majority of consumers still prefer to buy commercial rice.

However, because of the low supply of NFA rice, most of the retail outlets in the province have already run out of stocks.

Bejemino said the NFA in Negros Occidental is still studying whether to increase the volume of the PHP27 per kg. NFA rice in the market.

The remaining stocks are being allotted for possible calamities and emergencies, he added.

Since the government’s rice import is expected to arrive late May, the NFA rice in the province will be exhausted in at least a month, if they continue to distribute the remaining buffer stock to the market, Bejemino said. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...