No specific threat, but AFP mulls high alert for BOL plebiscite

By Priam Nepomuceno/PNA

MANILA — While it has yet to detect any security threat for the January 21 Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) plebiscite, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) public affairs office chief Col. Noel Detoyato on Wednesday said they are not letting their guard down.

He made this statement when asked on whether or not the AFP has monitored threats for next week’s polls.

“So far, na-defuse na natin ang (we have defused the) tension, kaya (so) we don’t foresee any major threat in the coming plebiscite. Nevertheless, we are still not letting our guard down and we will ensure the protection of the voters so that they can express themselves,” Detoyato said in a message to the Philippine News Agency.

The military is deploying around 10,000 troops and support units to help secure the BOL plebiscite along with the Philippine National Police (PNP).

“Rest assured, the AFP together with the PNP and with the big help from OPAPP (Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process) the LGUs (local government units) and MILF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front) leadership, the coming plebiscite will be conducted smoothly,” Detoyato added.

Earlier, the AFP public affairs office chief said the military will do everything in its authority to ensure the successful and peaceful conduct of all election-related activities this year.

The BOL plebiscite is slated for January 21 and February 6 while the mid-term elections will be in May.

“Our combat operations and other security operations will always be in support to the honest, orderly and peaceful conduct of Comelec-sanctioned activities,” Detoyato pointed out.

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...