Nograles eyed as next Cabinet Secretary: Panelo

MANILA – Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo confirmed on Tuesday that President Rodrigo Duterte is eyeing Davao City Representative Karlo Nograles as the next Cabinet Secretary.

“He is one of those being considered,” Panelo said in a Palace press briefing when asked to confirm Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra’s remark that Nograles is the next CabSec.

Panelo said Duterte will name the next Cabinet Secretary right after All Souls’ Day.

“The announcement will be made by the President himself as to the other members of the Cabinet who will replace those who filed their certificates of candidacy,” Panelo said.

Leoncio Evasco Jr. stepped down as Cabinet Secretary to run for Bohol governor in the 2019 mid-term polls.

Other officials of the Duterte administration seeking elective posts next year include Presidential Political Adviser Francis Tolentino, Special Assistant to the President (SAP) Christopher “Bong” Go, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano, Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) Director General Guiling Mamondiong, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque and Bureau of Corrections Director Ronaldo “Bato” dela Rosa.

Go, as well as Tolentino, dela Rosa and Roque will run for senator while Mamondiong will gun for the gubernatorial post of Lanao del Sur and Cayetano as congressman of Taguig.

Last week, Duterte named former Bureau of Customs (BOC) chief Isidro Lapeña as new TESDA chief while Philippines’ permanent representative to the United Nations Teodoro Locsin Jr. replaced Cayetano and former BOC chief Nicanor Faeldon took over as new BuCor head.

Duterte has yet to appoint his new political adviser and special assistant. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...