Nothing fishy on Chinese military plane landing in Davao: Cayetano

MANILA— Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano on Friday said there is nothing irregular with the Chinese military plane landing in Davao City last June 8, after it raised questions from the public and lawmakers.

“It’s nothing irregular, there’s nothing fishy about it, it’s something that countries do with each others,” Cayetano said in a CNN Philippines interview, referring to plane landings provided protocols are followed.

He pointed out there are more than a hundred similar requests coming from other countries to the Philippines every year.

“Hindi lang tayo sanay na mayroong Chinese plane na nagla-landing, 243 of this kind of applications from United States planes were granted, 33 from Korean planes, and marami pa sa iba, so far only two or three sa Chinese planes, but all of these dumaan sa proper channels including the military,” he said.

(We’re not just used that there’s a Chinese plane landing (in the Philippines), 243 of this kind of applications from United States planes were granted, 33 from Korean planes, and there are a lot more from others, so far only two or three were Chinese planes, but all of these have gone through proper channels including the military.)

“Normal ito, may proseso at may clearances from the military (This is normal. There is a procedure and clearances from the military),” he added.

Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go initially confirmed that a People’s Liberation Army Air Force Ilyushin-76 turbofan strategic airlifter landed in Davao City, but only for a technical stop.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana earlier admitted he had no prior knowledge of the plane’s landing but later dismissed there was nothing unusual with it.

Cayetano, for his part, defended Lorenzana, saying the procedure is already a routine, and such requests now usually fall under the assistant secretaries or concerned generals.

“You have about 300 to 500 applications in a year at least, it goes to our assistant secretaries or to certain generals then we’ll just sign,” he said. “Dati naman kasi walang isyu.” (Back then it was a non-issue.) (Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...