NTF adviser suggests lowering ECQ to MECQ

By Pearl Gumapos

National Task Force on COVID-19 special adviser Dr. Ted Herbosa suggested on Wednesday (Aug. 18) reducing the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) level to modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

“Kung opinion ko lang ang masusunod, kung ako ang namumuno sa Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF), bababa ako sa MECQ at pai-igtingin ko iyong mga mayor at iyong mga local government units, iyong localized lockdown, testing, at saka tracing,” he said in the Laging Handa public briefing.

Herbosa said the IATF and other technical groups have only two options — either continue implementing ECQ for another two weeks or reduce the classification to MECQ.

He said it was a tough decision as there needs to be a balance between health and the economy.

“Ang daming nawawalan ng trabaho, nagugutom, [at] hindi kumikita. So, talagang parang nagba-balancing act iyong ating IATF. Sana iyong mga datos, tama at magawa iyong tama para sa ikabubuti ng mas nakakarami.”

Herbosa also explained that the last ECQ produced favorable results after 10 days and that it would likely be the same situation for the current ECQ.

“Noong nag-ECQ tayo last year at nitong Abril, inabot ng 10 araw bago bumaba ‘yung kaso.
Tayo ngayon ay nagtala ng 10,000, from many days na over 14,000. Tapos kahapon, bumaba na. Tapat naman siya sa 11th na araw natin,” he said.

“Mukhang may tulong iyong ating ginawang ECQ. Sana tuloy-tuloy ito at hindi dumami, kasi naalala ninyo mayroon tayong mga super-spreader event just before nag-implement tayo ng ECQ. So, baka lumabas din iyong mga positive doon at makadagdag. Sana tuloy-tuloy na iyong pagbaba at madalian ang desisyon ng IATF na luwagan ang ating quarantine,” he added. – jlo

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...