NTF says experts recommend vaccination of minors below 12 years old

National Task Force (NTF) Against COVID-19 medical adviser Dr. Ted Herbosa on Wednesday (Nov. 24) said some experts have suggested the vaccination of minors aged 11 years old and below.

“Ang mga bata, very mild ang kanilang symptoms ng COVID-19. Pero mayroong mga bata na nagsu-suffer din ng mga multi-organ syndrome na na-ICU din at may mga namamatay din lalo na kung may comorbidity iyong mga bata,” Herbosa said during the Laging Handa public briefing.

“Ang pangatlo na rason ay iyong mga bata na tinatamaan ng long COVID-19. Iyong long COVID-19, humihina iyong puso nila, humihina iyong baga nila, at hindi nila nagagawa iyong mga normal activity. Ito ang isang rason kung bakit ina-advocate ng karamihang expert din ang magbigay ng bakuna sa below 11 years old kahit ito po ay experimental palang,” he said.

So far, only one country, the United States, has started the vaccination of minors below 12 years old, after being approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

“Nag-umpisa silang magbakuna ng mga edad lima hanggang onse sa paggamit ng bakunang Pfizer. I think kalahati iyong dose o mas maliit na dose ang binibigay sa mga bata,” Herbosa said.

Herbosa said Pfizer has made known of its intentions to apply for the vaccination of kids below 12 years old.

“Nagpahiwatig na ang Pfizer sa Philippine FDA. Mukhang maga-apply ang Pfizer para doon sa category ng mga batang iyan. Kailangan ding tutukan ng ating IATF at ang kanilang mga adviser kung talagang beneficial bang ibigay ito sa mga Pilipinong bata,” he said. – PG – bny

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...