NUJP condemns killing of Oriental Mindoro radio broadcaster

(Photo courtesy of Mimaropa Philippine National Police Press Corps)

By Gabriela Baron

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) condemned on Thursday, June 1, the killing of radio broadcaster Cresenciano Bunduquin on May 30.

Bunduquin, 50, was shot dead in Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro early Wednesday morning by a riding-in-tandem.

The broadcaster hosted “Ayos Mandin,” a show on DWXR 101.7 Kalahi FM.

In a statement, NUJP said Bunduquin’s murder “is a grim reminder that journalism remains a dangerous profession in the Philippines.”

“[Cases] like Bunduquin’s show that the circumstances that put our colleagues, especially those in the regions, at risk are still there,” NUJP said.

The group also called on the Marcos administration and the Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFoMS) to end impunity surrounding attacks on journalists and bring those who “harass, attack, and kill” media workers to account.

The PTFoMS is offering a P50,000-reward for any information leading to the gunman’s arrest.

The Philippines climbed 15 places in this year’s World Press Freedom Index, according to Reporters Without Borders.

From ranking 147th in 2022, the country is now ranked 132nd out of 180 countries.

READ MORE: Radio broadcaster shot dead in Oriental Mindoro

-ag

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...