NVOC: No local transmission of Omicron variant in PH yet

By Lade Jean Kabagani | Philippine News Agency

The government has not yet recorded a community transmission of the Omicron (B.1.1.529) coronavirus variant amid its emergence in the Philippines, an official of the National Vaccination Operations Center (NVOC) said Thursday (Dec. 24).

Dr. Kezia Lorraine Rosario of NVOC, however, said the threat that the newly detected Omicron variant could spread locally remains, despite the continuing downtrend in the country’s COVID-19 cases.

Rosario warned the public not to be complacent.

“Ito rin iyong isang news na we are very thankful of. However, with the entrance of Omicron in the Philippines… even though hindi pa tayo naka-report na there is a community transmission na, ito ‘yung tinitingnan din natin that we need really to prepare for Omicron as soon as possible and we should not let our guards down,” she said at the Laging Handa briefing.

Rosario said the national government had re-strategized its plans and course of action to address a possible surge in cases due to the variant as early as last week.

“Even though medyo low iyong cases natin ngayon, and we are very thankful for that, but we need to ensure na ma-address din natin iyong Omicron,” she added.

Rosario said vaccine czar Sec. Carlito Galvez Jr. has called for a meeting with all the concerned agencies, regional offices, and members of the task forces “to address and to make plans against the threat of the Omicron variant.”

“We are planning in all areas whether it be in the response and the vaccination, kung paano natin paghandaan, even though that we’re now enjoying the low cases,” she added.

The Philippines has so far logged three cases of the Omicron coronavirus variant. (PNA) – jlo

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...