NYC explosion: Suspect in custody

Police respond to a report of an explosion near Times Square on Dec. 11, 2017, in New York. (Photo Courtesy: AP)

New York police say a suspect is in custody after an explosion near the Port Authority Bus Terminal Monday morning.

Police have confirmed the male suspect is the only person on the scene injured. Authorities have not confirmed what kind of “device” was used.

Early reports suggest the blast was caused by a pipe bomb.

Three subway lines in the area are being evacuated, and a number of other lines are bypassing the 42nd street stop, which is in the heart of Manhattan’s Times Square – a popular destination among tourists.

White House Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a tweet that President Donald Trump had been briefed on the situation.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio were also briefed.

 

| via Voice of America

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...

Russian vlogger harassing Filipinos nabbed

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Authorities arrested a Russian-American vlogger who was accused of harassing Filipinos apparently for social media content. Philippine National...