OCD: PBBM provides P60-M for Kanlaon relief efforts

KANLAON RELIEF. The provincial government Negros Occidental ordered the evacuation of surrounding villages as Kanlaon Volcano erupted on Dec. 9, sending a huge ash column high into the sky. (Photo by FERDINAND R. EDRALIN / AFP)

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) on Friday announced that President Ferdinand R Marcos Jr. has turned over P30 million each to the Canlaon City government and the provincial government of Negros Oriental, as part of ongoing government efforts to assist communities affected by the Dec. 9 eruption of Mt. Kanlaon.

“This support was facilitated today by (the) Special Assistant to the President, Secretary Antonio Lagdameo Jr., during a meeting with local officials and disaster management representatives,” the body said in a news release.

Present in this meeting were Negros Oriental 2nd District Rep. Manuel ‘Chiquiting’ Sagarbarria, Negros Oriental Governor Manuel ‘Chaco’ Sagarbarria, Canlaon City Mayor Jose Chubasco Cardenas, and OCD 7 Director Joel Erestain, who is also Vice Chairperson of the Regional Task Force Kanlaon.

This funding responds to ongoing volcanic activity, with the province of Negros Occidental having declared a state of calamity.

However, Negros Oriental faces challenges in making a similar declaration due to legal restrictions that require at least two cities or municipalities to be affected by the crisis.

Canlaon City previously reported that it could only sustain support for internally displaced persons (IDPs) for three to four days, underscoring the urgent need for additional assistance from the national government.

It also recommended that further funds be allocated specifically for response efforts affecting the six local government units involved.

Current conditions were complicated by low signal bandwidth in Canlaon City, hindering communication and coordination efforts. Additionally, the Quick Response Fund (QRF) for Canlaon City was already depleted, impacting its ability to provide the necessary support.

“We are grateful to President Marcos for this early Christmas gift. This funding will significantly ease the burdens of those affected by the Kanlaon eruption, especially the IDPs who will spend the holiday season in evacuation centers. It is a crucial step in ensuring that our communities receive the support they need during this challenging time,” Erestain said.

He also reported that the OCD Central Office has increased the fuel allocation for the QRF to P1 million per month to support Canlaon City’s needs.

“This fuel will be used for relief operations, including transportation, the use of heavy equipment for clearing operations, and generators,” Erestain added. “In total, this will provide approximately 4,450 liters of gasoline and around 13,350 liters of diesel.”

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...