OFWs in Guam urged to take ‘necessary precautions’

Amid renewed threats by the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea to fire missiles towards the American trust territory, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) has advised overseas Filipino workers in Guam to remain calm but cautious.

“After consultations with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), no travel restrictions are imposed upon Filipino workers but they are advised to take the necessary precautions during their stay in Guam,” the POEA Governing Board, in its Resolution No. 04 issued last week said.

DFA has placed Guam under Crisis Level 1, Precautionary Phase, due to the threat of the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea to launch a nuclear missile strike against Guam.

The OFWs were advised to closely monitor the news from reliable media outlets and official advisories from the Government of Guam, and other US authorities, as well as from the Philippine Consulate General.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III has directed the International Labor Affairs Bureau to closely monitor the situation and update him on the conditions of thousands of OFWs in Guam.

Contingency plans, including the need to repatriate OFWs, are in place in case the safety of Filipinos in Guam and South Korea be put to risk.

“We are prepared for any exigency because our prime consideration ay ang kaligtasan ng ating mga kababayan. But so far, the situation there (in Guam and South Korea) remains normal and we have not received any request for repatriation,” Bello said.

Aside from repatriation aid, reintegration assistance from Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) also awaits OFWs who may be repatriated from Guam and South Korea. (DOLE-PR)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...