‘Oplan Sauron’ to continue in Negros Oriental

By Juancho Gallarde/Philippine News Agency

Philippine National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde. (PNA file photo)

DUMAGUETE CITY – “Operation Sauron” or the intensified campaign of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Negros Oriental will continue, according to PNP Director, General Oscar Albayalde.

Albayalde issued the statement during a visit to the wake of four policemen at Camp Francisco Fernandez in Agan-an, Sibulan, Negros Oriental over the weekend.

Since “maganda ang epekto,” (the results were good) if we see that this Oplan Sauron is effective to end insurgency not just in Negros but throughout the country, then why not,” Albayalde pointed out.

“Operation Sauron”, which pertains to the beefed-up campaign of the AFP and PNP against suspected New People’s Army (NPA) guerillas in Negros Oriental, does not hinder the campaign against criminality and illegal drugs, he stressed.

Records show that in less than six months, 20 people were killed as part of the campaign.

In November last year, President Rodrigo Duterte issued Memorandum Order 32 directing the military and the police to undertake all necessary measures to suppress any and all forms of lawless violence in the Mindanao region and the provinces of Negros Oriental, Negros Occidental, Samar and Bicol.

The same directive prompted the deployment of additional troops in Negros Oriental.

In an official statement read by Albayalde at the Negros Oriental Provincial Police Office (NOPPO) command, he vehemently denounced and condemned in the strongest sense the inhumane acts and gross violation of human rights committed by the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) to the four policemen who were slain Thursday last week.

He said the long arms of the law are now stretching within and beyond the borders to catch all those responsible for the death of the policemen.

“We are calling on the people of Negros Oriental to maintain their allegiance to the sovereign power of the state, reject and deny the promotion of arms struggle being viciously inculcated in the minds and hearts of the people by the CPP/NPA/NDF terrorists for this is the greatest hindrance to progress and development that everyone is entitled to enjoy,” Albayalde said.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...