
By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency
More than 60 individuals implicated in the missing “sabungeros” case have been placed on an Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (ILBO), Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla said Thursday.
The ILBO is issued by the Justice Department, instructing immigration officers to closely monitor the travel of subject individuals.
In a press conference, Remulla said covered by the ILBO are “all those who were named by (whistleblower Julie) Patidongan.”
“May isang umalis ng bansa kapatid siya ni Atong Ang,” he said.
Patidongan earlier named Ang and three others as the supposed masterminds behind the disappearance of the sabungeros, an allegation Ang has denied.
Prosecutor General Richard Anthony Fadullon, meanwhile, said following the completion of the evaluation stage, the case will now proceed to a preliminary investigation where the individuals implicated will be provided records of the case and asked to give their side.
“(B)y next week, we can issue the subpoenas already,” Fadullon said.
He explained that during the preliminary investigation, the prosecution is allowed to apply before the courts for a Preliminary Hold Departure Order.
“We will study if there is any danger that any of them will abscond,” Fadullon said.
Meanwhile, Justice Assistant Secretary Mico Clavano said ongoing operations in Taal Lake, where the alleged remains of the missing men were supposedly dumped, will continue, subject to recovery rest periods for diving personnel, some of whom have developed ailments due to conditions of the lake’s waters.
“They also undergo cycles for recovery in decompression machines,” he said.
He said the search and retrieval operations so far has resulted in the recovery of 401 skeletal fragments from 17 locations since July 10.
“PNP (Philippine National Police) Forensics noted that from those recovered 355 are human bones and 46 non-human fragments,” he added.