Over 7K minimum wage workers in NegOr benefit from P20 rice

Photo courtesy: Mary Judaline Partlow/PNA

By Mary Judaline Partlow | Philippine News Agency

More than 7,000 minimum wage earners in Negros Oriental have so far benefited from the government’s P20 per kilogram rice program, an official of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said Saturday.

“The rollout of the “Benteng Bigas Meron Na” in Negros Oriental started in June with a few business establishments signing up,” DOLE-Negros Island Region (NIR) senior labor officer and rice program focal person Nole Torres said in an interview.

“If you can still remember the promise of our President on the P20/kg rice, here comes its realization but this is only for the minimum wage earners because the Department of Agriculture (D.A.) will take care of the indigent sector,” Torres said.

On Saturday, Labor Secretary Bienvenido Laguesma led the distribution of government rice to 50 beneficiaries from four establishments in this capital city during a ceremony at the DOLE-NIR office in Barangay Bajumpandan.

The minimum wage earners are employees of Prime Retail Corporation, Dynamic Development Corporation, Luxe Prime Retail Corporation, and Superstore Retail Corporation.

The previous day, Laguesma also helped distribute rice to 50 sugar workers in Tanjay City, highlighting the program’s expansion across different sectors.

Provisions of the rice subsidy program

Torres clarified that the rice subsidy program is not exclusive to indigents, as workers from private establishments are also eligible.

Under the scheme, employers purchase rice at subsidized prices and distribute it to workers who pay through salary deduction.

Participating companies must submit their employees’ names to DOLE for verification before coordinating with Food Terminal, Inc. (FTI) and the National Food Authority (NFA) for processing.

The program has already been adopted by security agencies, sugar industry players, hotels and resorts in the province.

Torres encouraged more private firms to enroll in the initiative, enabling their employees to access affordable rice and reduce living costs.

“This program not only helps the workers, it also boosts morale and ensures food security at the household level,” he added. (PNA)

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...